Leading hazardous area trainers, classifiers, inspectors and auditors
Explosion Protection Technology Pty Ltd is a leading independent and Australian owned hazardous area training and consulting organisation specialising in the safety of:
- electrical installations in hazardous areas
- electrical installations in explosives hazardous areas
- hazardous areas within Australia
'Explosion Protection' is the name given to the globally recognised techniques used to prevent the ignition of flammable materials and combustible dusts by electrical installations within hazardous area locations.
It is vital accidental ignition of flammable and combustible atmospheres is avoided to prevent injury or death, and damage to property and the environment. Explosion Protection Technology provides advice, guidance and training in accordance with current Australian Standards in the specialised field of explosion protected electrical installations intended for use in hazardous areas.
The principal consultant of Explosion Protection Technology Pty Ltd is Colin Baker. Colin is highly regarded in his field. He has worked for some of the major manufacturers of hazardous area instrumentation and provided training and technical support to a large number of chemical, petrochemical and public utility companies around the world.
The hazardous area expert
A practising professional chartered electrical, instrument and control engineer, Colin has been involved with surge protection, intrinsic safety and hazardous areas since 1970. He is qualified to:
- classify hazardous areas
- assess the suitability of certified electrical equipment for use in hazardous areas
- assess electrical installations in hazardous areas for compliance
Colin is also an H Class licensed electrical inspector (Victoria) and an Accredited Hazardous Area Electrical Auditor (Queensland) permitting him to inspect hazardous area installations under the 2009 Victorian Electricity Safety (Installation) Regulations and 2002 Queensland Electrical Safety Regulation. He has written and presented numerous papers on intrinsic safety, hazardous areas and surge protection and Colin also participates in writing the Australian and New Zealand global explosion-protection Standards.
At the 2017 Static Control Conference Colin was presented with a life time achievement award in recognition for his outstanding contribution and commitment to the static electricity industry.
Colin’s knowledge and expertise are being used to help write several global IEC and Australian/New Zealand hazardous area Standards. His expertise is demonstrated by the numerous committee positions he holds.
Australian/New Zealand Standards committees:
- MS-066 - hazardous area competencies
- EL-014 - equipment in explosive atmospheres
- MS-011 - classification of hazardous areas
Australian/New Zealand Standards sub-committees:
- EL-014-4 - Intrinsic Safety (Ex i), Encapsulation (Ex m), Special Protection (Ex s) and equipment for use in combustible dusts
- EL-14-08 – spray painting booths
- ME-026-02 - industrial hazardous area trucks
- EL-014-01 - fuel dispensing
- EL-014-13 - Technical Advisory Group
Explosion Protection Technology Pty Ltd – A leading Australian hazardous area training and consultancy company.